Monday, April 14, 2014

A Budo Mother's Rant

Dr. Ann Maria Rousey, former World Judo Champion and champion budo mother of Ronda Rousey (yes, that Ronda Rousey) has her own blog.  The latest post is delightful.  The whole post is worth reading here , but this bit about being a budo parent is a gem.

It was quite the opposite. I would drive her to judo 7 or 8 times a week - on Tuesdays we went to two practices, at Venice from 7-8 then hopped in the car and she worked out at Hayastan from 8:30 - 10. Every day she was somewhere, Gardena, West LA, Baldwin Park, Hollywood. Traffic in Los Angeles blows, and after working all day and driving back home in traffic, some days, the last thing I wanted to do was get back in the car and drive another two hours across town. I would say to her,
Ronda, do you really want to go to practice tonight?
And she'd answer,

Of course, Mom. Why wouldn't I want to go to practice?
On top of all of that, if there wasn't anyone her size to practice with, I'd take falls for her. See that picture up there? She is a 14-year-old brown belt and I'm a 42-year-old statistician taking dozens of falls for her because I'm the right size and I know enough to give just the right amount of resistance.

Did anyone seriously think what I wanted to do after a 14-hour day was drive in rush hour to somewhere I'd get thrown 150 times? I don't expect any medals for that - it's what millions of parents in America do every day, cart their child to gymnastics, piano lessons, wrestling practice, academic decathlon or a million other things.

1 comment:

Ronin scholar said...

Oy. I guess that's one reason I am not a parent. I'm probably way too selfish to go to that length for my child; but then, I've never been put in that position either.

On the other hand, my parents went out of their way to treat us more or less equally, which meant saying "no" to anything that might cost more time or money for one of us as opposed to the other three. As much as I can appreciate that point of view, I resented it too.

In some ways, I still do.